Monday, September 21, 2009

John Boyd Jr. Civil War Letter



Civil War Letter from John Boyd, Jr. to his family in Cambridge, IL

Atlanta, Georgia, Sunday
November 6th, 1864

My Dear Wife, I wrote to you a few days ago doubtful wether you ever get it or this either. The last letter I rec’d from you was on the 18th Sept. when written. The 29th when recd just making five weeks since I heard from home. We left the Corps on the 3rd October since that time I have not heard from John or anything definite about the regt. I presume if we ever get to them I will find letters for me. We are all anxious to get to our Regt. as all here in the same situation. W. Davenport left here a few days ago for Chatanooga. He said he would write and let you know how I was as soon as he got there. He was improving very much when he left. All this excitement here every thing being moved to the Front. It looks to me that this place will be evacuated. We are looking for transportation for our Corps preparing as soon as we get it we will leave. I am well at present and hope you are all so, I mostly wrote to let you know where we are. If we can get to a more quiet place I will write to you more particularly. With much love to all I remain your affectionate Husband

John Boyd


No comments:

Post a Comment