Monday, September 21, 2009

Elizabeth K. Boyd

b. Feb. 7, 1840; d. April 18, 1882, Hankow, China

It is unknown, but presumed that Elizabeth K. Boyd is buried in China.  Her memory is kept on her parents' tombstone in the Rosedale Cemetery, Cambridge, Henry County, Illinois.




Elizabeth K. Boyd, 
Missionary to China

A list of family books being passed down to my grandfather and his brother refers to a diary kept by E.K. Boyd on her experience as a missionary in China.  The diary was from 1881-1882.  We’ve not found the diary yet, but I have done some research in order to learn a little bit more about what this life might have been like for a young woman in the early 1880s.

The Archive of the Episcopal Church was quite helpful in providing a variety of written correspondence as Miss Boyd was preparing to embark on this adventure.  Correspondence began in June of 1881.

She had lived with her Aunt Mary Ann (Boyd) and Uncle Horatio Bostwick in Bristol, PA as noted by census records.  As she departed for China, she made a stop to visit her family in Illinois and then on to San Francisco.  

Transcription from letter written June 30, 1881, Philadelphia

Rev. Joshua Kimber

Dear Sir,

I wanted very much to get to NY and see you again before I left for this city, but I found it was impossible.  So write to let you know of my whereabouts as I shall be anxious to hear ­­_______ the appointment.  I called to see Miss Stephens and ______ agree with you that she is a “charming person”.  And feel very much as I would like to have her for a companion.

Miss Foster I presume received my letter with an account of my visit with Sister Ellen which was quite satisfactory to me.  

I will remain in the city for 2 weeks longer.  Then go to Burlington, NJ.  If you will write to me there after your ________ I will be obliged to you.

Yours truly,
EK Boyd

Burlington July 24, 1881

Rev. Joshua Kimber

Dear Sir,

Upon reaching this place yesterday found your telegram with the fact of my appointment.  Last evening your letter and enclosed check came all right without “car” or number”

Now that my appointment is a settled fact I am overwhelmed with the thought of my unworthiness to accept such a position.  It will only be as strength is given me from day to day to do the work the Lord has put in my hands.  With His help alone can I fill the trust you have given me by appointing me as fellow worker in the vineyard of the Lord.  Allow me to thank you for your promptness in sending me word of my appointment.
I will return to Elizabeth (NJ) on Friday (July 22) and will come over to see you on Saturday.  It will be more satisfactory to see you face to face than to write.

Yours truly,
EK Boyd

17 Shlis St. Elizabeth July 25/81

Dear Mr. Kimber

I find here are one or two questions I did not ask myself in _______.  Is there any special time that I am to have my extra baggage at 23 Bible House?  Will it start after or before we do?  Can I get the _______ in Elizabeth or will is the better to get them in N York.   Do we start in the morning or evening train, and about what time?  If not too much trouble would you please answer the above question.

In my ___________ wish Mrs McAllister she informed me the Bishop had written it would be impossible for him to be with us at Miss Musting.  We thought it would be best to have it on Sunday.
I will be in NY some time this week and hope to see you again.

Yours truly
EKBoyd

Cambridge Aug 21 / 81

Mr. Roberts

Dear Sir

Leave this place at three so make connection with train leaving Chicago at 12 30 – will meet with Miss S at Galva at 5 10 then go on to Omaha leaving thru at 9 30 tomorrow (28th) I _______ will remain there till Monday.  I am feeling much better than when I first started.  Have been under the care since coming in Cambridge.  It is very hot.  The mercury stands at 96 in the shade.

            Yours truly
            EK Boyd

Postcard to Mr. Matter Roberts 28 Bible House, New York Dated Sept. 3rd 1881 San Francisco
We reached here about afternoon yesterday.  I am now feeling very well.  But was quite sick ______  On Wednesday of this  week we were down to see City of ________  and are so disappointed in our _________ _________ this an inside are ______ I think will be _______ close quarters  _____ others are ______ and more desirable.  Yours EKB



St. John’s College
Shanghai China
Oct 26/81

Account of Elizabeth K Boyd Travel from New York to Shanghai
Hotel Bills                                                                                                 $50.00
Pullman Cars                                                                                              17.00
Galva to Cambridge & back                                                                         6.00
Meals on road and porter fees                                                                     21.00
Medical call attention and medicine at Cambridge and San Francisco           15.00
Extras on steamer                                                                                       16.00
Total                                                                                                     $ 125.00

Received from Board of Foreign Mission                                                $ 100.00

Balance due -                                                                                            $25.00

Hankow Nov 22/81

Dear Mr. Kimber

After many delays we reached this place yesterday in pouring rain which seems to be my _____ whenever I have landed and does not give one the most formable side of a new home.  From the committee you have heard that it is thought best for Miss Roberts and myself to be in Hankow for the winter.  Which accounts for the long delay in reaching my new quarters.  We will have the house cleaned and hope by the first of the week to be settled.

I am very glad to say I am feeling much better now or any time since I left home.

My siege of sea sickness was such that I was afraid I would never get over it.  Upon reaching _______I was so heart sick and home sick as well as sea sick I felt very much like turning back.  I think now there is a silver lining to the cloud and after I fell at home I will be happy in my work.  Miss Roberts sends kind regards. 

With many ______________  ____________________ I am yours truly,
EK Boyd

Hankow 1/18/1882

Dear Mr. Kimber

Your letter with announcement you were obliged to hear.  We have an account of ill health was received last mail.  We were all much grieved to hear, we would lose you from our midst but hope it will only be for a short time.  And you will soon be visited with restored health.  Our prayers will go with you and may God grand that you will gain the strength us are so much in need of.

We are now settled in our new house in Hankow.  Everything seems going on in a flourishing way.  I think in time I will like my new life very much.  But now it all seems so new and strange.  It must take time to become accustomed to the foreign ways and people as I ______ more than odd ways. 

July seemed so far from December.  Now I never realized it would be so long before I carried my trunks by _______  ________.  In _______ where there so many things I needed I have been obliged to invest which seems like an unnecessary expense.  And outlay of money needed for other things.  There is some doubt of my getting them before March, which does not make me comfortable for the winter.  I certainly would never consent to have anything sent in _____ ever again.  ____hand – my will started at least six months before I did.

Kind regards to Miss Foster and Miss Emery.  Also to your sister Miss Kimber.

Yours Truly
EK Boyd

Postcard to Joshua Kimber NYC dated Chicago August 25 / 81

Miss Stevens wrote of our safe arrival I leave in 1030 train for Galva Missouri.  I will _____  ____ on Saturday.  Thus far I have found myself a very poor traveler.  ________ been sick since I left.  Yrs EKBoyd



From “Spirit of Missions”, August 1881

Appointment of a Missionary
China – At their meeting on the 12th ult., the Foreign Committee, acting for the Missionary Bishop of Shanghai, were very glad to accomplish the appointment of Miss Elizabeth K. Boyd, as Missionary Teacher for Wuchang Station.  Thus at last is filled the vacancy so often spoken of in these pages.  Miss Boyd will act as “House-mother” of the Jane Bohlen Memorial School, be a companion to Miss Roberts, who will remain in charge of the educational department, and work in house-to-house visiting among the Chinese women.  In a letter from the Rev. Mr. Sayres, lately received, he says that Mrs. Schereschewsky and Miss Roberts have been doing this last work with good results, as evidenced by the increased number of women in regular attendance upon Divine Service.

From “Spirit of Missions”, July 1882

Death in the Field
China – By the last mail we have the painful intelligence of the death at Hankow, on the 19th of April, of Miss Elizabeth K. Boyd, who sailed from San Francisco in August of last year for her field of labor in Wuchang.

No comments:

Post a Comment